WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+5
SBR
Swarles
Joe5150
Slayer
WhoBetta
9 posters

Lucha Underground season 2 thread

2kNikk
    2kNikk

Lucha Underground season 2 thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: Lucha Underground season 2 thread

Post by 2kNikk Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:57 pm

Yeah I dont get the hate for the spoiler either. Its whatever.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Lucha Underground season 2 thread  - Page 2 Empty Re: Lucha Underground season 2 thread

Post by Slayer Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:37 pm

The thing about Matanza is that I actually like the performer who plays the character (Jeff Cobb). However, after the way Matanza was built up, anything other than a hulking 7-foot monster was going to be a disappointment. Cobb is just not a proper fit for how they built up this character, despite being very talented.

In regards to LU pulling indy workers to be on their tapings, it does seem like they are becoming very controlling and trying to enforce extremely strict clauses in their contracts (i.e. Ricochet potentially not being able to sign with until 6 months AFTER LU Season 3 finishes airing next year). Considering that they will already have Season 3 tapings completed by mid-May, it's insane to think they can potentially put their talent on hold for so long.

And don't get me started on how they handled the MVP situation.

Spoiler:
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Seems like they're missing Konnan as a consultant this season (and next)
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:38 am

Yeah, by all accounts, Konnan has been phased out due to his rocky relationship with key figures in AAA (of which Dorian Roldan and the Pena family also have an ownership stake in Lucha Underground), and subsequent departure from the promotion.

To that point, he also confirmed on a recent episode of his MLW podcast that when he was put in a casket back in Season 1 during a segment between Prince Puma and Mil Muertes & friends, that was actually his character being killed off from the show, which was followed up in a Puma cutscene early in Season 2.

Considering that the segment was filmed the day after El Hijo del Perro Aguayo's death (where the roster started the tapings with a heartfelt tribute to Perro), that is really fucking tasteless in hindsight.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Mon May 23, 2016 6:26 pm

So i've been keeping up with lucha since i could get it on TV, what has been the general consensus on the last 3 or so episodes? I thought they were kinda bad other than the graver consequences one. Just not digging this season that much.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Mon May 23, 2016 7:49 pm

I have the package on iTunes and have only gotten through week 3. I'm struggling.
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Tue May 24, 2016 12:17 am

Oddly I'm enjoying this season more, but I think that has a lot to do with me understanding what it is and making it a point to stay with it as opposed to last year when I would miss weeks at a time

I enjoyed the No Mas match, and loved Graver Consequences but other than that nothing has been all that great since they Rey/Puma/Dragon v Taya/Cage/Mundo match which I thought was tremendous
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Tue May 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Some of my issues with Season 2 are that they're focus seems to be on the wrong things. For example, they are going overboard with the vignettes this season, so much that they are multiple per segment, and then the matches are heavily edited and trimmed down to accommodate them.

What's worse is that vignettes like the police angle don't even revolve the wrestlers, aside from the initial one with Cortez Castro and Joey Ryan.

Also, despite trimming the roster a bit, a lot of talent will disappear for weeks at a time with no explanation (Aerostar, Drago, etc.), while someone like Marty The Moth is on TV almost every week.

Matanza clearly isn't clicking that well either, so for that character to be the main focus is detrimental to the show.

As for the matches, they are going overboard with the hardcore elements and stunts on a seemingly weekly basis, that the fanbase is becoming numb to those matches. Even at tapings, aside from a few wrestlers like Pentagon, the crowd has gotten to a point where they are seemingly silent during matches, and wait for spots to react to. I can imagine that this is also affecting the TV audience as well.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Tue May 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Fuck man there has been way too much marty the moth. I didn't know anything about that dude so I was giving him a chance. A season in a half in, i think its safe to say he sucks, his "feud" with sexy star sucked, and poor cheerleader melissa is stuck with that idiot.

Also this last episode that was centered all around a cage/chavo feud...like who wants to see that?
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Tue May 24, 2016 8:15 pm

I think the shorter season forced them to try and cram in gimmick matches every week as opposed to building to them for a few weeks like last year and I agree it's a little overkill

Also really miss those weird vampiro interviews with guys at ringside
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Thu May 26, 2016 11:13 am

Another big issue that I have is Rey Mysterio has been completely marginalized. By his second match, he already felt like just another guy on the roster.

He could have and should have been a gamechanger for Lucha Underground, but I feel like they wasted most of his drawing power for a new audience by marginalizing his role on the show.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:40 am

So Lucha Underground will begin airing their Season 2 finale Ultima Lucha Dos in 2 weeks. According to the background image on their Facebook page, it will be broadcast throughout 3 episodes.

Lucha Underground season 2 thread  - Page 2 KvnHddr

In addition to the matches announced on last week's episode, two more matches were announced on tonight's episode:

Lucha Underground Championship: Matanza Cueto (C) vs. Pentagon Jr.

Rey Mysterio vs. Prince Puma

Dragon Azteca Jr. vs. Black Lotus

Gift of the Gods Championship: Night Claw vs. Daga vs. Killshot vs. Marty "The Moth" Martinez vs. Sinestro de la Muerte vs. Sexy Star vs. Mariposa

Also, they will be filming Ultima Lucha Tres this weekend, oddly enough before the Season 2 finale has even aired. Apparently, Season 3 is likely to premiere in the fall, rather than the initially assumed premiere time of next January.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 pm