WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+3
JustSkiff
Swarles
Slayer
7 posters

Lucha Underground Season 3

Slayer
    Slayer

Lucha Underground Season 3 Empty Lucha Underground Season 3

Post by Slayer Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Lucha Underground Season 3 0emhRo1

Following the conclusion of Season 2, Lucha Underground will be back in quick fashion as Season 3 premieres on Wednesday, September 7.

Check out the trailer for some new faces headed to the Temple. Anybody excited for Season 3?
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Lucha Underground Season 3 Empty Re: Lucha Underground Season 3

Post by Swarles Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Slayer wrote:Anybody excited for Season 3?

not especially, no. Also I like AR Fox, but the other new faces i picked out were Callahan and London, and boy that does not give me a lot of confidence.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:35 pm

BUT IT'S ON FIOS!!!
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:49 am

Swarles wrote:
    Slayer wrote:Anybody excited for Season 3?

not especially, no. Also I like AR Fox, but the other new faces i picked out were Callahan and London, and boy that does not give me a lot of confidence.
    I'm starting to feel the same way.

Season 2 was definitely a step down in quality from the first season, especially due to how rushed everything felt. Also, many of the new characters didn't really click and they spent way too much time focusing on non-wrestlers, thus taking away from the actual show because the writers think they're writing Emmy award winning television.

In regards to the new talent, all 3 of those names are solid wrestlers for sure, but not game-changers in any way. I feel like Lucha Underground is also becoming incredibly cheap when it comes to recruiting new talent, because a few wrestlers who came in for Season 2 and many that are rumored for Season 3 are local area California indy wrestlers that aren't incredibly well-known. I get from a logistical standpoint why it makes sense, but ultimately, it's tough to get any major buzz from bringing in guys like Johnny Goodtime.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:42 pm

The more I think about season 2, the more I think none of the new characters worked. I've gone on about how I don't find Matanza to be interesting because the giant unstoppable monster thing has been done to death, but it seems like he got over with most people. But other than that you had Taya, the darewolf, kobra moon, mariposa, that dude that debuted right at the end that i cant even remember...none of these characters really made any impact at all. And that doesn't really have a lot to do with the talent either. Cheerleader Melissa is awesome, but they gave her a mediocre at best gimmick and put her in that awful angle with marty and sexy star.

Like Johnny Goodtime isn't going to light my world on fire, but if he was booked right you could make something out of him. Son of havoc is a good example. Matt Cross was never really a guy I cared about, but that trio angle got pretty over and now he's a big part of the show. "Random local indie guy x" could totally get over, I'm just not as confident in them getting it done now as I would have been a year ago.
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:11 pm

I have no evidence to back this up, but I feel like they really missed Konnan behind the scenes, I have a feeling while they were doing all their super "creative" stuff in season one someone was adding little details and helping to keep things more grounded in actual pro wrestling storytelling and that seemed to be missing in season 2 which felt a lot more like doing stuff for the sake of doing stuff
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:25 pm

I'm sure Konnan would agree with you, dog.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:53 pm

There is a good point there though.

If you look at the LU creative staff, it's all former WWE writers. Chris DeJoseph, best known for playing "Big Dick Johnson," is the head writer of a Lucha Libre based program. That's just as ridiculous as it sounds.

They are accustomed to writing for one particular style of pro wrestling show, and don't have as much experience working in various promotions and territories like Konnan does, who's done it as both talent and as a booker. They also have no understanding of how to appeal to a Latino audience (which is the demographic that LU was originally intended to target), since they're all middle-age white men.

Another thing to consider, Konnan has mentioned how Vampiro and Chavo Guerrero, who serve as agents for LU in addition to being on-air talent, were trying to slow the matches down and have the talent work more of an Americanized style, while Konnan was trying to put more emphasis on doing straight-up Lucha Libre.

As for the characters from Season 2, Matanza didn't click as well as he should have for a few reasons. First off, Jeff Cobb was completely miscast for that character based on look and personality. The way Matanza was built up before his debut appearance, you were led to believe he would be an absolute mountain of a man. Meanwhile, Cobb isn't even 6 feet tall and his outfit looks unimaginative. Also, he's simply a surrogate for Dario Cueto, since Dario can't work matches.

Night Claw was introduced way too late in the season, and unless the character was recast, won't be returning for Season 3. That's because of the drama that led to Flamita/Fireball (who played Night Claw) leaving AAA, that was due to AAA having him play Octagon Jr., without the consent of the original Octagon.

Daga was brought in about as generic and bland as you could introduce a new wrestler. He had a very good match in his debut, but he lost and was immediately branded as a midcarder, much like "Darewolf" PJ Black was. That's a real shame since Daga does an incredible job of playing an arrogant, vicious rudo in AAA. Taya's introduction was done in a way that they expected the audience to know who she already was based on her work in AAA.

Kobra Moon and Mariposa look way too similar, and their stories were done in such a weak manner. I also feel like LU needs to get over the novelty of doing intergender matches and just create a women's division, since they have a lot more female wrestlers signed and used several more in dark matches throughout the last two seasons of tapings.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Daga's season was so forgettable I forgot to add him to my list of forgettable season 2 debuts =/
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:49 am

Screw you guys Joey Ryan worked.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:26 am

Not enough Dong Style for my liking.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:41 pm

I watched about 3 episodes, but I paid for the whole season
    WhoBetta
    WhoBetta

Post by WhoBetta Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Yeah. That was mad decent.

Congrats to Sexy.
    WWF Attitude
    WWF Attitude

Post by WWF Attitude Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:02 pm

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2017/2/24/14733550/lucha-underground-coming-to-netflix-on-mar-15-2017

Gino Mrosko wrote:Lucha Underground coming to Netflix on Mar. 15, 2017

The deal was officially announced earlier this month without an exact date for when the first two seasons would show up on the streaming service. Now, reports are going around that Mar. 15, 2017, is the day. Rejoice!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:16 pm