WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+7
JustSkiff
Slayer
WWF Attitude
SBR
PhenominalXX1
TeeBeeKay
Swarles
11 posters

Rumored WWE Cruserweight Show - ACTUALLY HAPPENING

Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Rumored WWE Cruserweight Show - ACTUALLY HAPPENING Empty Rumored WWE Cruserweight Show - ACTUALLY HAPPENING

Post by Swarles Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:53 pm

Kind of, big 10 week tournament to air on WWE Network this summer

STAMFORD, Conn. — WWE Network continues to add to its already robust slate of original programming in 2016, with the newly green-lit show, Global Cruiserweight Series. This tournament brings together more than 30 of the greatest in-ring competitors at Full Sail University in Orlando, Fla., to vie for the right to call themselves the best cruiserweight in the world. Global Cruiserweight Series is set to premiere Wednesday, July 13 at 9 p.m. ET on the award-winning WWE Network.

http://www.wwe.com/wwenetwork/new-2016-programming-global-cruiserweight-series-28703671?sf21027710=1
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Rumored WWE Cruserweight Show - ACTUALLY HAPPENING Empty Re: Rumored WWE Cruserweight Show - ACTUALLY HAPPENING

Post by TeeBeeKay Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:18 pm

http://www.channelguidemag.com/tv-news/2016/02/16/paul-triple-h-levesque-wwe-network-series-global-cruiserweight-series/

Longer article, he mentions using talent from Progress, Evolve and Rev Pro so hopefully this means Scurll and Sabre get a shot
    PhenominalXX1
    PhenominalXX1

Rumored WWE Cruserweight Show - ACTUALLY HAPPENING Empty Re: Rumored WWE Cruserweight Show - ACTUALLY HAPPENING

Post by PhenominalXX1 Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Progress tweeting about this a lot. reckon there may be some kind of deal in place?
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Matt Riddle got this locked up.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Word on the street is this is going to be a vehicle for manny andrade/la sombra.
    WWF Attitude
    WWF Attitude

Post by WWF Attitude Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Time to get those hopes up!

But for real, it's about time
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:09 am

WWE needs to raid Mexico, because there's plenty of talent from CMLL and AAA that would be perfect for this.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:13 pm

I remember when they signed La Sombra, Meltzer said they sent someone or another to Mexico to scout talent. Whoever it was came back with a report along the lines of "the only guy we need to sign in Mexico is la sombra". So, I don't know.

I also think people might be getting carried away with the amount of outside talent coming in. If WWE includes main roster guys, and guys in developmental who haven't debuted on TV, they could almost fill this whole thing out.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:42 pm

Gabe's pretty much made it clear that some Evolve guys will be on this thing. I think it's more than Gargano and maybe Ciampa.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:49 am

Matt Riddle ya'll!
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:50 am

Swarles wrote:I remember when they signed La Sombra, Meltzer said they sent someone or another to Mexico to scout talent. Whoever it was came back with a report along the lines of "the only guy we need to sign in Mexico is la sombra". So, I don't know.

I also think people might be getting carried away with the amount of outside talent coming in. If WWE includes main roster guys, and guys in developmental who haven't debuted on TV, they could almost fill this whole thing out.

I recall that too, but it just seems asinine for them to think they only need to sign 1 Mexican talent and bank on them becoming a major star. A Cruiserweight tournament / division is the perfect way to showcase luchadors, as their wrestling speaks universally.

As for in-house talent, there doesn't seem to be very many main roster guys I could realistically see participating in this from the main roster. Honestly, I see Neville, Sin Cara and maybe Tyler Breeze. Kalisto seems to be above being in this tournament right now.

I do see some current NXT talent, but not a whole lot, especially depending on who gets called up after Mania. As for developmental talent yet to become regulars on any TV show, Rich Swann, Biff Busick, and La Sombra are the obvious candidates.

With the tournament having over 30 participants, they are really going to need to bring in outside talent to fill the numbers. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they sign all of them.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Oh they should totally bring in more luchadors, it just seems like they're not going to.

As for the bracket, I'm just saying don't be surprised if they bring in like 5-8 outside guys and the rest of the bracket has the likes of Diego and Heath Slater.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:34 pm

@enuhito_eng
    Tokyo Sports mentioned the possibility of Ibushi participating in "WWE Global Cruiserweight Series".

Ibushi p much confirmed for the series.
    2kNikk
    2kNikk

Post by 2kNikk Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Time to freak out?
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Dave mentioned that it sounded like Ibushi wanted to do it on WOR last night, so maybe where there is smoke there is fire, but I doubt he was in the original plans due to his contract situation so we'll see if WWE has interest in him or not
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:26 pm

<span class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="line-height: 0; display: none;" id="sceditor-end-marker"></span><span class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="line-height: 0; display: none;" id="sceditor-start-marker"></span>
    Swarles wrote:Oh they should totally bring in more luchadors, it just seems like they're not going to.

As for the bracket, I'm just saying don't be surprised if they bring in like 5-8 outside guys and the rest of the bracket has the likes of Diego and Heath Slater.
    I just don't see Trips doing this tournament to have it be a mostly WWE/NXT talent thing.. Why bother doing press if that the plan and makes it sound like you are looking hard at outside talent.. Why the "205" limit then? wouldn't it make more sense to keep it at the old "225" limit? so you don't have half of the guys "dropping" pounds from their bill weights you been using so they can be involved.

Last edited by Spudz on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Look I'm just trying to temper expectations in case this thing doesn't turn out to be a giant PWG all star weekend. If they use a handful of WWE/NXT guys I'll happily be wrong about it.
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Went to WWE's terrible new roster page and these were all the guys listed under 205, there's 11 of them, and I doubt Kidd will be back and I doubt Xaiver will be in it, now the non debut guys like La Sombra, Swann, Biff etc aren't listed but I don't know how many are 205 or not, also I don't think the 205 thing will be a shoot, but even with a 10-15 lb wiggle room, there aren't tons of guys I'm leaving off that I can think of

Kalisto
    Balor
    Gable
    Torito
    Enzo
    Itami
    Neville
    Sami
    Sin Cara
    Tyson Kidd
    Xaiver Woods

Now I don't think we're getting 20 non signed guys in this thing, but I would guess it's 10-15 with the gargano's and ciampa's of the world, but seeing as how this is a HHH project I'm guessing he's going to take a real swing at making this something special so it doesn't flop

and in 5 months when Adam Rose somehow makes 205 and wins this thing I will bow down to Swarley and admit I was wrong
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:29 pm

William Regal announced at Evolve 56 that qualifying matches for the Global Cruiserweight Series will be taking place all over the world and that the qualifying matches here in America will be taking place at Evolve.

Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:45 am

PROGRESS Wrestling just announced that they will hold 2 Global Cruiserweight Series qualifying matches on April 24.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:20 pm

Count Revolution Pro Wrestling in the UK as another promotion that will host Global Cruiserweight Series qualifiers:

http://www.wwe.com/shows/globalcruiserweightseries/article/evolve-progress-revolution-pro-host-global-cruiserweight
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:14 pm

First seven guys announced are apparently

Swann
    Gargano
    Ciampa
    Ho Ho Lun
    Noam Dar

Zack Sabre Jr
    and AKIRA TOZAWA!!!!!

FUCK YES!
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:16 pm

Sabre automatically in, makes some of the qualifiers more interesting.

Also Tozawa is the best.
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:39 pm

Really hope Tyler Bate gets a spot, dude was great at KOT last year
    GolfClubNinja
    GolfClubNinja

Post by GolfClubNinja Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:23 pm

Anyone from Japan coming over?

I doubt they will get him because of the incident in the 90's with the cruserwhieght title, but The Great Sasuke would be nice to see

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 am