WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+6
JustSkiff
CapitalTTruth
TeeBeeKay
GenericMartini
Swarles
SBR
10 posters

WWE roster breakdown tl;dr

SBR
    SBR

WWE roster breakdown tl;dr Empty WWE roster breakdown tl;dr

Post by SBR Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:01 pm

So I'm do a lot of thinking at work. And I decided I wanted to write down a breakdown of the WWE's roster. Kind of try to see where the problem is and why there are really no stars. This is going to be like a classic BBB/Majin old school post with a lot of words. Even if none of you reply, I love you. But seriously, reply and lets be friends.

MAIN EVENT!!!

Brock Lesnar (limited dates)- WWE Champion, as mentioned he has limited dates but he is a pretty big draw. Hope they figure out how to use him in the coming months

John Cena- Duh, unless he's hurt or filming a crappy movie, John Cena will be in a main event program.

Randy Orton- He's been on top and a face or heel for years now. Him and John Cena have had three billion matches, don't really know if he is a draw. He doesn't draw me.

Seth Rollins- Tyler Black is a main event heel in the WWE. Think about that. Really weird. But I love the way he plays his character, he's improved so much before our eyes. Oh, and he's a great wrestler. Look forward to his future on top.

Dean Ambrose- The current #2 babyface in WWE is Jon Moxley, king of the deathmatch. Ok maybe he wasn't king. Anyway, Dean Ambrose might be the only thing that makes anything enjoyable on Raw. He is believable, he is over, he is great in the ring. I look forward to his progression and I hope this time he gets as a #2 greatly improves his spot in the company. He deserves it.

Daniel Bryan (injured)- What a time to have neck problems. The great former WWE Champion Daniel Bryan can not come back soon enough. The top of the card is stale and I would love to see him mix it up again, but health first always. Get well soon DB.

Roman Reigns (injured)- Intense hernia surgury halted Roman's ascent to be top babyface and maybe it was for the best? He seemed to be getting not as great reactions from the crowd as he was and he was having a weird feud with Randy Orton. He might still be in line for his WrestleMania moment next year.

Main event conclusion: While it is nice to see The Shield ascend to all be single stars, as opposed to only two of them making it, the WWE main event scene is a mess. Two main babyfaces are injured, the heel champion is on limited dates and that leaves us with Orton, Rollins, Cena & Ambrose and it seems like they have a tag match every week on TV. So while all this is happening lets take a look at the midcard and see who WWE could maybe elevate to the top of the card. If any.

MIDCARD!!!

I'm going to group these guys in pods for easier reading.

Champions:
    IC Champion, Dolph Ziggler
    US Champion, Sheamus
    So WWE basically elevated Ziggler from jobber to mid card champion recently very quickly. Ziggler has been super over for a long time now and honestly might be the next guy moved up the card. I know, I don't really buy it either but the fans could really get behind a Ziggler run at the top. But I'd guess that won't happen, they seem to really hate him for some reason. Sheamus is a former main eventer who is now a mid card champion. They can easily move him back to the main event but the problem is Sheamus is not over at all, even though he is technically a babyface the dude is sort of a jerk. Not a character most people can get behind.

Contenders/non-geeks
    Bray Wyatt, Rusev, Kane, Cesaro, The Miz, Jack Swagger, Luke Harper, Erick Rowan, Big Show, Mark Henry, Bo Dallas, Tyson Kidd, Bad News Barrett (injured)
    So Wyatt, Rusev and Kane are pretty much what one would usually call an upper mid carder. But I don't do that so they're in the mid card here. Wyatt has had main event feuds but I feel he still isn't there yet. Seems like his rumored face turn isn't going to happen and I feel that isn't helping him. He might have already plateaued as a heel. Rusev is being groomed for Cena (or The Rock?) and that is pretty much his plateau. Cesaro is a huge main event babyface waiting to happen and I have no idea what they're waiting for. He seems to be stuck in mid card heel hell.

Luke Harper and Erick Rowan are supposedly going on heel singles runs. Again, where are the faces?! Harper is awesome though and I hope they use him well. Somehow Jack Swagger is an over babyface but has no current direction, maybe he will feud with recently called up Tyson Kidd?

The Miz, Big Show, Mark Henry and Bo Dallas pretty much are what they are. Old (and new in Dallas' case) hands that will not make a big impact on the bottom line. Miz is the most entertaining he's been and Henry is about to turn heel. WHERE ARE THE FACES YOU ASK? Big Show is a face ya'll. Dallas is on this list strictly because he is on a winning streak and gets like promo time and stuff. But who knows what they're trying to do with him.

Bad News Barrett was doing well as IC Champion, in my opinion at least before he got hurt. But again he was a heel. He will be back soon.

Mid card conclusion: They should turn Cesaro and Wyatt face and give them a run at the top. That won't happen though. There is no depth in the mid card, even these non geeks really wouldn't be able to hold it at the top sans a few of them mentioned. But even that involved turning them as well.

GEEKS!!!

Adam Rose, The Bunny/Justin Gabriel, Damien Mizdow, R-Truth, Fandango, The Great Khali, Zack Ryder, Darren Young (injured)
    Rose is the new Santino, Gabriel will hopefully be unmasked and become a mid carder? Maybe? Probably not. Mizdow is awesome but WWE doesn't treat him like that. Khali sucks, where is Fandango and Zack Ryder used to be really over but isn't now. Young is a jobber but he is out of action.

Geeks conclusion: All the people Skiff likes are considered geeks.

TAG TEAMS!!!

Gold & Stardust, The Uso's, Los Matadores, Slater Gator, The New Nation, Rybaxel (injured)
    I didn't even realize the dire straights the tag team division is in right now. After have a bunch of awesome teams last year and into this year. None of these guys can really be a singles star, aside from Big E? Maybe? Ryback tried but that time has passed.

Tag team conclusion: Call up Big Cass and Enzo.

So basically what would you do to improve WWE's current roster? A lot of talent but some of it just isn't in the right place or position to succeed. These past few Raw's have been really frustrating and I'm trying to write it down and get it out of me. It would be nice of them to maybe call up Neville, Zayn or others to help the fledgling middle of the show but alas, three diva's segments it is.

Also I know, TL;DR.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

WWE roster breakdown tl;dr Empty Re: WWE roster breakdown tl;dr

Post by Swarles Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:31 pm

I fear a bray wyatt face turn. I don't think they would know how to make that character a face, and we'd get smiling, joke telling bray wyatt. I know that seems crazy, but that's really the only way they know how to book babyfaces. Remember world champion, joke telling CM Punk?

As for midcarders, honestly, a lot of those dudes are probably fucked. The shield got over because they came in and got pushed as a big deal ASAP. They were never stuck in midcard hell. I would say the next guys to get a main event push are in NXT.
    GenericMartini
    GenericMartini

Post by GenericMartini Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:14 am

I've heard the rumor that the WWE is going to unmask the bunny to be Darren so that he and Titus can continue their feud. I don't know how Heath or Adam Rose will play into that but it'd be an interesting yet heatless return. Unless they get serious momentum behind Darren people won't really care.

Honestly I can see Harper going singles but once Rowan shows his weaknesses they'll regulate him to a tag team again. Whether that's Wyatt or some new giant dude like Baron Corbin or something is yet to be seen.
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:14 am

The problem with Bray has always been lack of focus, and that's creative's fault, the Wyatt family needed to have a big picture plan, and I thought there were hints of it in both the Bryan and Cena feuds but the problem has been he's just a dude who can cut a cool promo, but without the right focus all the promos sound the same and don't really do anything

As a babyface he COULD WORK, but it would have to be something where it became his goal to destroy the authority, essentially put all his cult work stuff to work against HHH, but he would need the family for that and it looks like they're inexplicably going singles with Harper and Rowan for some reason
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:11 am

I agree with the majority of this. I think your solutions are good and well thought out too. To sort of engage this list I will go through some high points.

Dragon - I think you might actually understate how much he is needed right now. I read an article on BR last WM season about how much better and more energetic the whole roster has been with Dragon leading the way. I think his energy and skill really do rub off and make the whole roster want to up their game, even when they aren't in the ring with him. In this way, he is a leader somewhat like the Rock and Austin were in the Attitude era. He can't solve everything, but I do think the roster needs lead guys like him.

Cesaro - God, why in the world are they not letting Cesaro do the "HEEEYYYYY" and turn face. You are right. He is a main eventer in the waiting. His bad ass heel work is only going to get him so far (especially if he isn't winning). They could have easily done this with Brock, both of them being Heyman guys. It just doesn't make sense.

BNB - I think this guy was back on his way up before getting hurt. Im hoping he and Ziggler get right into when he gets back because I think those matches COULD push them both up the card a bit. He is a potential star in the making too.

Wyatt/Harper/Rowan - Like many of you, I am scared of Wyatt's face turn. I just don't see why they need to fix what isn't really broken. He is a deep and complex character that should evolve every time he gets a new feud. He doesn't need a drastic move. I am also not sure I get why you break up one of the best tag teams in the division (especially given what you pointed out about the current tag teams). I love Harper and I think he could be a great heel (or face) down the road, but this seems like a really flat way to make all these moves. This all could work out because there is a lot of talent here, but it seem like sort of starting over for no reason.

Sami Zayn - I think it is time to move this guy up. I know he still needs some work on the microphone, but he is really easy to get behind, always performs in the ring, and could pretty seamlessly move into a midcard babyface position. If Sami moved into that position, Cesaro could move up a bit and the whole roster gets a net performance increase.

SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:05 pm

I agree, I think with how thin they are they would be calling up some people from NXT. Zayn and Neville would be huge, helping the face side of things while also adding exciting, fun wrestler.

As for Wyatt being a face I would tremble at a face Wyatt telling jokes in his promos. By gawd. That scares me.

Cesaro though, can't say enough how they're dropping the ball with him.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:40 am

The Wyatt Family going their separate ways is just another case of WWE breaking up a team/group for no apparent reason. Wyatt should be fine, as should Harper (who may end up doing even better as a singles performer). But Rowan is going to flounder badly on his own. Being in a team with Harper and especially in this trio really allowed him to play to his strengths. Now his weaknesses will be exposed, but in-ring and as a promo.

The worst part is that just as the tag team division was picking up a bit of momentum, it falls apart yet again. There's really only four active teams, as the New Nation got forgotten about as a TV act and really only work together on house shows. While the Usos and Dusts have good matches, there's only so many times they can work together.

The main event scene is incredibly weak because there are so few top wrestlers available right now (causing Corporate Kane to headline house shows and be in TV main events on a regular basis), that it's lead to incredibly repetitive matches within a short time span. While the former Shield members are excelling in their roles for the most part, the WWE seems hesitant to really get all the way behind them, thus forcing Cena and Orton into the Ambrose and Rollins feud.

Aside from Rusev, the remainder of the roster has been so damaged that it would appear that there's very little chance of anybody who isn't a new callup from NXT to break into the main event scene.
    dragondragon
    dragondragon

Post by dragondragon Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:03 am

Zayn and Devitt would help midcard so much, hell, let steen and zayn play around with the IC belt.

Agree about Mox. He's got that ladies love him thing orton did, except guys like him as a worker. (Seriously, Mox is a looker)
    GolfClubNinja
    GolfClubNinja

Post by GolfClubNinja Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:58 pm

dragon, steen was let go...
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:15 pm

Incorrect.
    Grant
    Grant

Post by Grant Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:30 pm

JustSkiff wrote:Incorrect.

This.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:45 pm

I mean Willie Mack and Kevin Steen are pretty much the same guy. M I RITE?!?!
    Grant
    Grant

Post by Grant Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:50 pm

SBR wrote:I mean Willie Mack and Kevin Steen are pretty much the same guy. M I RITE?!?!

Fat guys. Known for their PWG work. Both clearly black. You're absolutely right!
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Grant wrote:
    SBR wrote:I mean Willie Mack and Kevin Steen are pretty much the same guy. M I RITE?!?!

Fat guys. Known for their PWG work. Both clearly black. You're absolutely right!

Willie Mack's black in real life? I thought it was just for the gimmick
    Grant
    Grant

Post by Grant Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:36 pm

TeeBeeKay wrote:
    Grant wrote:

Willie Mack's black in real life? I thought it was just for the gimmick

In real life? No. But he's so dedicated to keeping kayfabe alive that everyone has sort of accepted it or at the very least play along.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Guys i cracked the code.

Willie Mack is Super Dragon.
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Swarles wrote:Guys i cracked the code.

Willie Mack is Super Dragon.

You did it!

Now Willie "Super Dragon" Mack will grant you three wishes.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:36 pm

I'd like to have world peace, cure all disease, and have kane move to Antarctica.

GolfClubNinja
    GolfClubNinja

Post by GolfClubNinja Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:54 pm

How will mack cure Ebola? :3

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:47 pm