WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+4
SBR
Vipes
Swarles
Spudz
8 posters

EVOLVE, Shine,AIW, & DGUSA are now WWE devlopmental

Spudz
    Spudz

EVOLVE, Shine,AIW, & DGUSA are now WWE devlopmental  Empty WWE - Evolve/WWN deal in the works

Post by Spudz Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:49 pm

By Mike Johnson on 2015-06-10 17:28:19

For those who have asked about rumors regarding WWE and their developmental system working with WWN, the parent company of EVOLVE, Full Impact Pro and the now-defunct Dragon Gate USA, PWInsider.com has learned from WWE sources that there has been communication between the two sides about working together and that communication was initiated by WWE about a week ago or so ago.

That's about when Ring of Honor landed on national cable TV with their Destination America timeslot, so whether that was a factor I can't say 100%, but it looks like it could be. EVOLVE released a video thanking TNA for working with them around the same time.

In regard to stories making the rounds (some attributed to me) that WWE is buying WWN or that it will be a new "OVW" style promotion assisting developmental, there's nothing to those stories at this time - we are told that whatever this deal is, and it's not a done deal by any means, it's all still being worked out and that no "official deal" has been set in stone.

PWInsider reached out to WWN's Sal Hamaoui and Gabe Sapolsky but they did not return requests for comment. WWE has not responded to official requests for comment as of this writing, either.

MORE ON EVOLVE-NXT
    By Mike Johnson on 2015-06-10 21:52:26

According to a well placed WWE source, the potential WWNLive-WWE NXT deal came about due to a number of factors:

*I noted earlier that the timing of WWE initiating contact with WWNLive was around the time ROH announced their TV deal with Destination America, but an equal or perhaps bigger factor was the Ring of Honor action figure line being released through Rhode Island-based online retailer Figures Inc. Although the action figure line was a deal ROH made well over a year ago, WWE took notice of it when a Kevin Steen (Owens) figure was announced for the first series. I am told Steen signed a deal for that figure well, well before he signed with WWE (late 2013 I believe) but it was just coming out now due to delays on Figures Inc.'s end. I am told that the Steen announcement led to WWE taking a deeper look into what Figures Inc. was doing, as the retailer are preparing their own independent wrestling action figure line.

*WWE, according to my source, did not want to get into a situation where two years from now they sign someone from the independents to a WWE deal but when it comes time to license them, they now have to go through a third party (or worse, a third party that once sued them, as Figures Inc. did over WWE allegedly double-crossing them on the production and sale of title replica belts - a suit that was settled) in order to negotiate and obtain the licensing rights.

*The source I spoke with believed the potential deal would be that as part of the WWE relationship with WWN, that WWN would start to sign "top independent talents" to exclusive deals that would include merchandising and licensing rights, so that if and when WWE wanted to bring them into NXT, they wouldn't have the headache of having to piecemeal all the licensing rights from third parties.

*The implication I was given is that if an independent talent has signed a third party merchandising deal with any sort of exclusivity, WWE wouldn't be interested in signing them. Now, there will always be exceptions to the rule, but that was the mindset that was explained to me by my source.

*The other factor I didn't write about earlier that was mentioned to me this evening was SHINE Wrestling,WWN's women's wrestling promotion. With NXT's women's division being built around strong, athletic, female workers, WWE is interested in having a group of women they can have "official" access to for potential WWE NXT use and SHINE is Florida-based.

*The basic idea that has been explained to me is that WWE and WWN would have an official relationship, so that any WWN signed talents would be available for WWE to pick up and sign without any outside hassles that could come about with those talents having signed third-party deals elsewhere.

*My source made it very clear that the deal is nowhere close to done and that there's no guarantee it will end up completed, but said it was something that was being pushed through by top WWE developmental officials. To me, that means Triple H.

That is the latest we have. As noted earlier, neither WWE nor WWN have returned official requests for comments.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

EVOLVE, Shine,AIW, & DGUSA are now WWE devlopmental  Empty Re: EVOLVE, Shine,AIW, & DGUSA are now WWE devlopmental

Post by Swarles Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:22 am

fucking what?! like what other out of left field news could come out this year? IT'S ONLY JUNE!
    Vipes
    Vipes

EVOLVE, Shine,AIW, & DGUSA are now WWE devlopmental  Empty Re: EVOLVE, Shine,AIW, & DGUSA are now WWE devlopmental

Post by Vipes Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:15 am

Swarles wrote:fucking what?! like what other out of left field news could come out this year? IT'S ONLY JUNE!

"Vince Russo hired as head of NXT Creative, lays out plans for two year undefeated streak & title run for Hideo Itami."
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:20 pm

This is fucking bonkers. ROH is on the shit list, would have never guessed that.
    Joe5150
    Joe5150

EVOLVE, Shine,AIW, & DGUSA are now WWE devlopmental  Empty EVOLVE, Shine,AIW, & DGUSA are now WWE devlopmental

Post by Joe5150 Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Gabe Sapolsky's WWNLive indy feds have become WWE's new developmental companies. EVOLVE, Shine, AIW, & Dragon Gate USA are now WWE developmental. Which basically means NXT isn't really developmental for the company, but more of the 3rd 'Alternative' brand for WWE. They were gonna make a big announcement later, but the dirtsheets leaked it. It's on Twitter and all the major wrestling sites.

Sami Zayn will be working in Evolve when he's healed up, which will be soon.
    Joe5150
    Joe5150

Post by Joe5150 Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:35 pm

EVOLVE, Shine,AIW, & DGUSA are now WWE devlopmental  CRJlvjLUYAAf5yR
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm

You did it Gabe. Well done.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:49 pm

1. Cool

2. DGUSA is dead

3. AIW isn't under the WWN banner
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Gabe! If there are seats left might try to do something this weekend with Sami announced.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:56 pm

I wonder if Riddle is actually a WWE developmental guy.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:01 pm

SBR wrote:Gabe! If there are seats left might try to do something this weekend with Sami announced.

Meet & Greet
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:07 pm

JustSkiff wrote:
    SBR wrote:Gabe! If there are seats left might try to do something this weekend with Sami announced.

Meet & Greet

DGUSA.tv has been down and I can't get a card. Looks like they don't want me to go.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:17 pm

tweet gabe to save you a ticket he got you.
    RFSKannon
    RFSKannon

Post by RFSKannon Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Swarles wrote:I wonder if Riddle is actually a WWE developmental guy.

Yes and no. WWE brokered the deal that got Riddle into Evolve.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:13 am

While there obviously some kind of relationship between WWE and Gabe/WWN... I think declaring them to be WWE's new official developmental companies is a bit premature and I have seen no real "dirtsheet" say it official.

I also have some doubts that Sami will actually wrestle for Evolve when he healed ... seem like these are just special appearances, where Sami will sign some autographs and maybe do some play by play.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:43 pm

What Dave wrote on it:

WWE has agreed to send Sami Zayn to the Evolve live shows on Saturday and Sunday night in Queens, NY, and Deer Park, NY, for non-wrestling appearances.

Zayn, currently out of action due to shoulder surgery, will be doing an autograph signing and posing for pictures with fans both nights. He will also be doing something in the ring but it will only be for the live audience as they are not allowing him to appear on the iPPV portion of the show it is believed.

WWE is working with Evolve as a place for talent WWE is interested in to work before they go to WWE, as WWE doesn't want to sign talent if at all possible that has been on national cable or can be merchandised in some form based on prior agreements.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:54 am

Whatever the case is between WWE and WWN Live, if this means Timothy Thatcher shows up in NXT within the next year, then I'm all for it!

And I haven't even seen any of his EVOLVE matches; just his work in Championship Wrestling From Hollywood.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:12 pm

Slayer wrote:Whatever the case is between WWE and WWN Live, if this means Timothy Thatcher shows up in NXT within the next year, then I'm all for it!

And I haven't even seen any of his EVOLVE matches; just his work in Championship Wrestling From Hollywood.

He's had some incredible matches in Evolve this year. Definitely recommend checking them out.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:56 pm

Evolve issued a press release on Thursday in which the promotion's working relationship with WWE is discussed. "You have supported us and you deserve an answers," reads the statement. "You want to know what's going on with WWE and The WWN Family. This is the absolute truth. There are no answers. Yes, there is obviously a growing relationship. What direction it will take is unknown.

"There are rumors and speculation, but this relationship changes and develops almost weekly. This is a road that has never been traveled before. There is no precedent. We don't know what to expect nor what is possible. All this means is that anything can happen. There are infinite possibilities. The only sure thing is that this will be a wild, unpredictable and thrilling ride. We will all find out where this road goes together. There is no telling what will happen next." For more on the upcoming Evolve events, visit DGUSA.tv.

Powell's POV: I assume the update was written by Evolve booker Gabe Sapolsky, but it does not specify. While I'm sure Sapolsky knows more than he's willing to share publicly, my guess is that the relationship is informal enough right now that what he wrote is a fair assessment of the situation. For those who missed it, NXT standout Sami Zayn will appear at the Evolve events in New York this weekend, but he will not be wrestling nor allowed to appear on the iPPV.

meanwhille WWE.com has has a new article looking at 5 EVOLVE wrestlers who may be the next NXT breakout stars http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/evolve-wrestling-hottest-prospects-wwe-nxt-28054230
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Odd that Tracy Williams was included in the list but Biff wasn't.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Biff already finished up with Evolve I believe.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:12 pm

SBR wrote:Biff already finished up with Evolve I believe.

I mean I get that, but if he's already going to NXT soon, put him over in this list instead of Hot Sauce.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:23 am

SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Interesting that Gargano lost a match which was hyped as a "Gargano leaves town" match. Guess he isn't signing with WWE just yet.
    RFSKannon
    RFSKannon

Post by RFSKannon Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:22 am

SBR wrote:Interesting that Gargano lost a match which was hyped as a "Gargano leaves town" match. Guess he isn't signing with WWE just yet.

I think you meant he won. Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:18 am