WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

4 posters

Computer Advice (Xero, Grant, looking at you)

Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Computer Advice (Xero, Grant, looking at you) Empty Computer Advice (Xero, Grant, looking at you)

Post by Swarles Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:34 pm

So i've been thinking about getting a new laptop, i've had the same one since 2011 and it's starting to show it's age.

I want to get something pretty beefy that can run games and be able to render HD video.

Been looking at this laptop from lenovo: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y70-touch/

Been mostly looking at the 2nd model, with the i7, 8GB DDR3 and the nvidia geforce gtx860m with 2gb ddr5.

I have an additional discount from this corporate discount thing at work, i can get it for $969. Should i jump on it? Do you think the 16GB ram in the higher models is worth the extra money? Also, know of any other good gaming laptops in the $800-$1200 range?
    Grant
    Grant

Computer Advice (Xero, Grant, looking at you) Empty Re: Computer Advice (Xero, Grant, looking at you)

Post by Grant Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 pm

I'd jump on that deal. It looks pretty stellar from what I can tell. Also, the 16GB is nice, but it's really just showing off unless you're running some major beast games at ALL the highest settings. Not necessary at all. A decent gaming laptop under a grand is a thing of beauty. Especially when you have a discount looking at you.

I'd shoot for it, personally.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Computer Advice (Xero, Grant, looking at you) Empty Re: Computer Advice (Xero, Grant, looking at you)

Post by Swarles Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Well I hesitated too much and the model i was looking at is now sold out lol. Next model up is only $120 more (with the 16GB of ram) and that makes more sense to me then going down to the i5, so i'm probably going to do that. (Still curious to xero's opinion though).
    Xero
    Xero

Post by Xero Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:00 pm

You're already spending 900 dollars. 120 more for keeping the I7 and getting 16GB of RAM is worth it.

In other news, I am trying to talk myself out of buying one of those Halo Xbox One bundles. $350 man
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Just bought the model with 16GB Ram. It was $1089 with my discount before tax(hurray credit cards).

I kind of want you to buy a xb1 for the lulz, but it's hard to legitimately recommend one. Sunset over drive I guess?
    Xero
    Xero

Post by Xero Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:22 pm

I kind of want you to buy a xb1 for the lulz, but it's hard to legitimately recommend one. Sunset over drive I guess?

I guess Halo, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza. That's about it.

Just had two friends buy one recently. One of them has a PS4 and the other one does not.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:23 pm

PS4 isn't really looking too hot either tbh, one of the reasons I wanted a laptop that could run games.
    Xero
    Xero

Post by Xero Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:29 pm

PS4 isn't really looking too hot either tbh, one of the reasons I wanted a laptop that could run games.

Bloodborne comes out tomorrow. Still haven't convinced myself that I want it. I wasn't a fan of the Souls series but this looks nice.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Bloodborne is the kinda game i hear people talk about, look at it, just kind of shrug and then move on.
    Xero
    Xero

Post by Xero Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Bloodborne is the kinda game i hear people talk about, look at it, just kind of shrug and then move on.

It looks cool, but I don't waste my time on those games that try to be hard on purpose.

That said, Driveclub is 30 dollars right now O.o
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:50 pm

it was supposed to be free!
    GolfClubNinja
    GolfClubNinja

Post by GolfClubNinja Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 pm

http://www.alienware.com/

This is the brand i use, i use x16-x17 from 2010-2011, not fully sure. Only has one graphics card but it works fine. Good long term computer, although the laptops are giant.
    GolfClubNinja
    GolfClubNinja

Post by GolfClubNinja Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:42 pm

The laptop of course, but i recommend the brand as a whole
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:49 pm

alienware is like the gaming version of a mac. A good, shiny piece of hardware that is sold at an insane mark up.
    Xero
    Xero

Post by Xero Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:28 pm

Gaming laptops are expensive in general, but Alienware is probably one of the last places to look for one at a fair price.

I had a gaming laptop in college.  Loved the portability. I used to play WoW in the library on weekdays and take it to my grandmothers on the weekends.
    GolfClubNinja
    GolfClubNinja

Post by GolfClubNinja Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 pm

lol yeah i know that, forgot bout that, still a nice computer though
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:36 pm

Laptop still hasn't shipped so I called Lenovo. One of the parts is on back order, and the laptop will ship "on or before April 15th"

Sad Sad Sad SAD FACE
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:41 pm

POSTING FROM MY NEW LAPTOP AHHHH
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:52 am

finally did some "proper" gaming on this thing. Picked up titanfall for $10 w/ dlc via download code from amazon, basically just to test this laptop out(i didn't already own any games that would push this laptop). Ran it in high at 1080p, ran like a dream. Pretty pleased right now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 am