WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+4
Swarles
Joe5150
RFSKannon
Indy
8 posters

Suck it, CM Punk

Indy
    Indy
    Admin

Suck it, CM Punk Empty Suck it, CM Punk

Post by Indy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Rumor has it CM Punk's lawyers sent pretty letters to WWE jeopardizing the planned released of the video game.

WWE did this in return:

http://shop.wwe.com/CM-Punk/cmpunk,default,sc.html%22]http://shop.wwe.com/CM-Punk/cmpunk,default,sc.html[/URL
    RFSKannon
    RFSKannon

Suck it, CM Punk Empty Re: Suck it, CM Punk

Post by RFSKannon Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:32 pm

If, and from what I understand he actually hasn't filed anything, if he filed suit against WWE for his appearance in 2k15, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on since he walked out on his contract.
    Indy
    Indy
    Admin

Post by Indy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Punk's made a career off of unorthodox decisions.
    Joe5150
    Joe5150

Post by Joe5150 Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:41 pm

RFSKannon wrote:If, and from what I understand he actually hasn't filed anything, if he filed suit against WWE for his appearance in 2k15, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on since he walked out on his contract.  

Punk owns the rights to all his trademarks and WWE stopped paying royalties to him, thus he sent them a threatening letter to pay him royalties. So, if WWE continued to not pay him what he was owed, he would have won in court if it went that far.
    Indy
    Indy
    Admin

Post by Indy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:49 pm

Yep...   one of the reasons why Vince likes to rename everyone in NXT. 

Surprised Punk was an exception.
    RFSKannon
    RFSKannon

Post by RFSKannon Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Joe5150 wrote: Punk owns the rights to all his trademarks and WWE stopped paying royalties to him, thus he sent them a threatening letter to pay him royalties. So, if WWE continued to not pay him what he was owed, he would have won in court if it went that far.

Nope. It's in the contract, if any talent breaches their contract WWE has the ring to stop all payments and royalties as a result. It's well within their legal right to do so, since the game's content was decided and well underway while Punk was still a contracted talent.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Punk's lawsuit in no way jeopardizes the release of the video game. WWE stopped paying him royalties. He wants his royalties. People who aren;t even under contract get paid royalties when they appear on WWE DVDs and such.

Even though he walked out, he is probably still owed the money. Especially since he claims he "retired".
    Indy
    Indy
    Admin

Post by Indy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:56 pm

RFSKannon wrote:
    Joe5150 wrote:  Punk owns the rights to all his trademarks and WWE stopped paying royalties to him, thus he sent them a threatening letter to pay him royalties. So, if WWE continued to not pay him what he was owed, he would have won in court if it went that far.

Nope.  It's in the contract, if any talent breaches their contract WWE has the ring to stop all payments and royalties as a result.   It's well within their legal right to do so, since the game's content was decided and well underway while Punk was still a contracted talent.

Normally that's the case...  But WWE doesn't own the CM Punk trademarks.  So in this case..  Punk has an argument.  I totally disagree with it because of the situation.  But yeah...
    Indy
    Indy
    Admin

Post by Indy Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Swarles wrote:Punk's lawsuit in no way jeopardizes the release of the video game. WWE stopped paying him royalties. He wants his royalties. People who aren;t even under contract get paid royalties when they appear on WWE DVDs and such.

Even though he walked out, he is probably still owed the money. Especially since he claims he "retired".

I'd keep an eye on it..  Litigation, even in a pending stage, could absolutely delay the release pending how this plays out.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm pretty sure I read he only wants royalties for the video game. Didn't hear he wanted for like tshirts and stuff.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:59 pm

Stone Cold mentioned how WWE stopped paying him royalties as soon as he walked out before that infamous Raw in 2002. The WWE were able to do so because of how their contracts are structured.

Legally, they could have done the same with Punk as soon as he walked out as well. Based on the wrestling rumor mill, they didn't do so because they were hopeful they could still mend the relationship before his contract expired in July. Since that clearly didn't happen, this is the fallout of that situation.

This probably won't have much affect on the video game though, since Punk's role in the game was already established and the game was in development before his contract had officially expired.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:02 pm

SBR wrote:I'm pretty sure I read he only wants royalties for the video game. Didn't hear he wanted for like tshirts and stuff.
    I would seriously doubt that.

If you remember that interview he did with MMA reporter Ariel Helwani a few days before the Royal Rumble, you'll notice how he answered a question regarding the Network.

He seemed frustrated over how the money from the PPVs was going to be distributed to him, compared to when they were previously only available as Pay-Per-View events.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:14 pm

That dvd is a steal at $3.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Slayer wrote:
    SBR wrote:I'm pretty sure I read he only wants royalties for the video game. Didn't hear he wanted for like tshirts and stuff.
    I would seriously doubt that.

If you remember that interview he did with MMA reporter Ariel Helwani a few days before the Royal Rumble, you'll notice how he answered a question regarding the Network.

He seemed frustrated over how the money from the PPVs was going to be distributed to him, compared to when they were previously only available as Pay-Per-View events.

From Dave in last weeks newsletter:

Attorneys for C.M. Punk sent a 22 page letter to WWE over royalties (I believe WWE stopped sending Punk royalty money over their claim of a breach of contract) and use of his likeness, particularly him being featured in the video game (the roster of the game was put together before he quit the promotion even though it was just announced two weeks ago).

I guess I read it wrong and it wasn't just video game stuff, just video game stuff in particular.
    Xero
    Xero

Post by Xero Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:10 pm

I think CM Punk is a massive joke

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:04 pm