WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+7
Slayer
JustSkiff
TeeBeeKay
WWF Attitude
Swarles
CapitalTTruth
SBR
11 posters

KENTA getting a NXT tryout

SBR
    SBR

KENTA getting a NXT tryout Empty KENTA getting a NXT tryout

Post by SBR Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:59 pm

PW.NET wrote:Japanese star KENTA (a/k/a Kenta Kobayashi) is getting a tryout at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida this week, Prowrestling.net has confirmed.

Powell's POV: I was told that KENTA wrapped up a NOAH tour over the weekend and immediately made the overseas trip to the WWE Performance Center.

I haven't seen KENTA wrestle in a long time. I wouldn't get my hopes up but I mean good for him.

Last edited by SBR on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

KENTA getting a NXT tryout Empty Re: KENTA getting a NXT tryout

Post by CapitalTTruth Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Wait... WHAT?!
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Glad they tried him out first to make sure he knows what he's doing.
    WWF Attitude
    WWF Attitude

Post by WWF Attitude Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:15 pm

look for KENTA to use the Pepsi Plunge and Cattle Mutilation in NXT.
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:13 am

KENTA /highpitchedgirlscream
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:01 am

More importantly they made an offer to Devit.
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:25 am

Haven't they made offers to Devitt before?
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:09 am

CapitalTTruth wrote:Haven't they made offers to Devitt before?

They've be interested in him, but I don't think they've made real offers.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:25 am

I want to have high hopes for KENTA potentially ending up in the WWE, but Japanese wrestlers tend to get pigeonholed in the company.

They usually end up playing comedic characters that play up every terrible Asian stereotype. I mean Tajiri did get a pretty good run when he was practically running the Cruiserweight division on SmackDown, but he did play that type of role for his first year in the company. He also got really badly lost in the shuffle when he got transferred to Raw, aside from a very brief feud with Triple H.

And does anybody know where Yoshi Tatsu's been?
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:55 am

Also as much as I'd like to see KENTA and Devitt both get signed, didn't WWE JUST pass on the Wolves and Ricochet because they were "loaded with small guys who can go"?
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:31 am

Selfishly, I would be really cool with them being on NXT because they would have great matches, but I am not sure what we, as fans, would really get if they made it to the main roster. Devitt vs Sin Cara and Fandango for 6 at least 6 months and KENTA playing some crazy pop-japanese character?

SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:18 pm

I feel like Ricochet and the Wolves might have been passed over because they weren't guys HHH found himself. Total speculation but that could have been the reason. I feel like HHH has been on Devitt for a while and who knows who gave KENTA the try out but if they're guys HHH found then I believe they will probably get signed.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Slayer wrote:
    And does anybody know where Yoshi Tatsu's been?

The last I heard was Yoshi put in a request to move to Texas, but was denied because he needed to stay in FL and work on his training at NXT. So pretty much they no longer think he belongs on the main roster, which is a shame.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Note from 2/3 Observer:

In what to me was a huge surprise, Pro Wrestling NOAH star KENTA (Kenta Kobayashi, who turns 33 in March) has been at the Performance Center since Sunday for a several day tryout. I’m not sure if he’ll work this coming week’s tapings or not. His last match in Japan was 1/25 and he flew out the next morning to Florida and started his tryout the next day. The KENTA thing has its ironies. KENTA was one of the hot young stars in Japan a decade ago, and Punk, in particular, copied a lot of his stuff, including the GTS finisher, and made it his own in the U.S. market. He was also one of Bryan’s favorite wrestlers, and Bryan’s Busaiku knee was KENTA’s other finisher. Except for his really fast kick and chop routine that Punk used to do when he first came in and was either told not to or stopped on his own, almost all his big moves are already established by someone else here (who took them directly from him), which means he’s going to have to drop his biggest spots. At the time, KENTA was a big star and Punk and Bryan were indie guys who studied tapes and looked up to him. Now, KENTA, even though he held the GHC title for a year and was second in the Japanese MVP voting to Okada by Tokyo Sports, because NOAH has fallen so badly, he’s less of a star while Punk and Bryan are two of the biggest stars in the world. As a general rule, the cornerstone guys of the promotions in Japan have great loyalty to their companies and are lifers, so between his size (5-foot-7, 180ish) the hard striking style (which doesn’t fit well with WWE) and language issues and WWE’s usual treatment of Japanese talent (Yoshi Tatsu was a good worker and a bigger guy, who had a cool look, maybe could never be a superstar but could have been a good working underneath guy), it’s not the right fit in some ways. Still, this may tell you just how bad things in NOAH are because you don’t go to Orlando for a week as a tryout guy when you’re a long-time main eventer unless you’re looking to get out. He’s also considered NOAH’s biggest star to its limited audience, so it’ll be a big blow to that group if he signs here. That also changes the dynamic of him in Japan. Daily Sports in Japan reported he was going to be offered a contract and NOAH would be doing a farewell show for him. That may be a premature story but I have little doubt he’d impress WWE officials since it’s not like they see talent at his level walking into the Performance Center for first looks, and aside from having to tone down the physicality, and tweak a few things, his style will work against Americans a lot easier than the guys from Mexico.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:29 pm

from Meltzer's Daily news update -
    KENTA will make an announcement on Monday at Pro Wrestling NOAH's show at Korakuen Hall regarding his future in pro wrestling.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:13 pm

taken from lordsofpain.net
    - Pro Wrestling Noah star KENTA has blogged about why he was at the WWE Performance Center this week. Here is a translation from Japanese to English from yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.jp:

"I am sorry for having you all confused over the various information about my visit in the US.

As a matter of fact, I am in the States and enjoying the WWE training. But as for now, it’s not about getting a tryout or a contract.

It is indeed true that I have always been yearning for a spot in WWE, and I’ve always wanted to give it a try sometime. After all, you only live once. “I should have given it a try.” “I should have chosen another way.” I’ve had those regrets when I was in my middle and high school, and even after I got in to this business. I just did not want to regret later about something I haven’t tried, so I used my time off to participate in the WWE workout. The executives were at the workout, so perhaps I may have left a mark.

The place is full of competition and hungry guys. It’s not as simple as being good at Puroresu or having strength. There are so many guys with monster physique and guys who are way athletically superior to me. And even they don’t get into the big league. That’s how tough this place could be. I can easily imagine that surviving in this environment could be severe. And spending a few days in that environment became a really good experience for me.

I’m sorry to have caused the confusion, but one thing I can say for sure is that “I’m glad I came”. I would like to work even harder making use of this experience.

And lastly, I would like to thank [NOAH] President [Akira] Taue for letting me take this chance."
    WWF Attitude
    WWF Attitude

Post by WWF Attitude Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:01 pm

Strong words, strong bewildering words
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:06 pm

WWF Attitude wrote:Strong words, strong bewildering words

In short, i believe he was trying to say "YOLO"
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:29 am

Not only did he try to say YOLO, he did say YOLO.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:36 am

right but he added a bunch of other words in there too.

he really should have put tl:dr YOLO at the end of the post.
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:47 am

Swarles wrote:right but he added a bunch of other words in there too.

he really should have put tl:dr YOLO at the end of the post.

That's the motto.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:15 am

It was announced this morning in Japan that Pro Wrestling NOAH star KENTA (real name Kenta Kobayashi, 33 years old) would be leaving the promotion, with his final appearance being 5/17.

As PWInsider.com broke in January, KENTA spent a week at the WWWE Performance Center, training and working out with developmental talents. Upon his return to Japan, he downplayed the time spent in Orlando, Florida, claiming he wanted to take part in WWE's training and a break in the NOAH schedule allowed him to do so.

In a blog entry, KENTA wrote, "It is indeed true that I have always been yearning for a spot in WWE, and I’ve always wanted to give it a try sometime. After all, you only live once. “I should have given it a try.” “I should have chosen another way.” I’ve had those regrets when I was in my middle and high school, and even after I got in to this business. I just did not want to regret later about something I haven’t tried, so I used my time off to participate in the WWE workout. The executives were at the workout, so perhaps I may have left a mark."

With the announcement that he is leaving NOAH, a promotion has he been with since it formed, the obvious question is whether KENTA is leaving for a WWE deal? Obviously, it's easy to assume such (and it's possible those assumptions are correct) but we don't have 100% confirmation on that.

KENTA debuted for All Japan Pro Wrestling in 2000 but quickly left for Pro Wrestling NOAH when the late Mitsuharu Misawa led an exodus of talent and management from AJPW to form his own company. Over the last 14 years, KENTA rose from an undercard talent to one of the best workers in the world and is credited with the creation of Go To Sleep, a move later popularized in the United States when former WWE champion CM Punk adopted it as his finishing maneuver.

Stateside, he is best known for appearances in Ring of Honor, including incredible bouts with Low Ki and then-ROH champion Bryan (Daniel Bryan) Danielson.

When KENTA returned to Japan following his one-week workout at the Performance Center, he claimed that he wasn't seeking a WWE deal but if one was offered, it would be something he would be interested in pursuing, noting his dream was always to wrestle for WWE.

In due time, we will see if that dream has come true, but the loss of KENTA is a major hole that NOAH will have to try and fill - one that won't be easy.
    2kNikk
    2kNikk

Post by 2kNikk Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:50 am

Oh man oh man oh man
    TeeBeeKay
    TeeBeeKay

Post by TeeBeeKay Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:04 am

KENTA

Sponsored content