WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+2
SBR
Spudz
6 posters

TNA attempts to "raid" ROH?

Spudz
    Spudz

TNA attempts to "raid" ROH? Empty TNA attempts to "raid" ROH?

Post by Spudz Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:03 pm

ROH employee Court Bauer brang it up on his podcast and named TNA Writer Dave Lagana as the guy doing the calling. ROH is now considering legal action against TNA for contract tampering. Also, TNA was buying ad time on ROH shows from the their Sinclair affiliates. He said Sinclair has now put a stop to that.

from this weeks observer

There may be something going on behind-the-scenes as it regards TNA, with the two companies running PPVs one week apart, and ROH’s show being from Nashville, where TNA has its home offices. TNA has made some moves, including contacting some ROH talent. One report from ROH is that TNA has gone after several key ROH talents this past week, although those talents were all said to be under ROH contract. The story is that ROH is trying to make sure there are no issues with the contracts. This all was going down at press time.

The only names that have somewhat gotten out that fall into this category is Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly, and that Davey Richards was the conduit. No doubt he’d like to work with them in TNA since the tag team situation there is weak. Although Adam Cole’s name is the only one that has come out, a number of ROH wrestlers are expected to get good paying shots in New Japan toward the latter part of the year, after G-1, since new Japan pretty much has all of its plans for foreigners booked through that period. Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows when they were at the ROH shows were really putting over how great it is to work New Japan, with the minimal stress and politics that most Americans talk about.

To most in wrestling now, New Japan has replaced TNA as the No. 2 promotion as far as prestige goes, but that’s not universal since TNA is still based in the U.S. and its shows air internationally. There was more money in TNA, although that may not be the case anywhere. But ROH working with New Japan allows it to work out dates and is a nice way to keep talent from going to TNA that would have considered it even six months ago.

There is also the situation with The Wolves, who, even though they are tag team champions in TNA, there is the feeling they haven’t been put over well, so it makes people leery about going. But even now, no matter how you slice it and TNA may beat ROH on PPV this month and may even draw better live, TNA is still the better paying and far bigger company. But another negative on TNA is the belief that if you go to TNA, it’s very difficult to get to WWE, and for almost all wrestlers, that is the ultimate goal. Plus right now, the morale in TNA isn’t good.

What Mike Johnson from pwinsider wrote about it
    A news story began making the rounds yesterday about TNA raiding ROH talents. I am told the story began in The Wrestling Observer, but I have not seen the original story, so I can't comment on it.

After a ton of emails asking us what was going on, I reached out to sources in both TNA and ROH. I was told that Jay Lethal was contacted and asked about working the Destination X-themed Impact episode, at the same time TNA was reached out to former champions. Lethal told them he was under contract and turned it down.

At the same time, someone (I suspect Davey Richards due to his relationship with Kyle O'Reilly, who he trained) reached out to ROH Tag Team champions ReDragon, who are also under deals, and inquired about their interest in working. Obviously, they cannot. I was told by several different people in TNA that was not a call made on behalf of the company but a call that was made "independently". I don't know this to be sure, but knowing how much Richards prides himself on having awesome matches, I can see him trying to put together something where two great workers could come in to wrestle himself and Eddie Edwards. I was told that no TNA executives ever had a discussion with ReDragon.

I am told that TNA has had conversations with other talents who aren't under current ROH deals from time to time (and they also get contacted by said talents, as goes the nature of the business) but beyond the aforementioned, that was it.

A TNA source, when asked about the story, said, "All conversations with talents start with, 'Are you under contract?' If the answer is Yes, we don't go any further, ever.' "
    SBR
    SBR

TNA attempts to "raid" ROH? Empty Re: TNA attempts to "raid" ROH?

Post by SBR Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 pm

I really feel for Eddie Edwards here. He didn't really have to leave ROH, but he's a good friend to Davey. Now Davey is trying to fish more poor schlubs to TNA.
    The PhenomenalBullyOne

Post by The PhenomenalBullyOne Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:44 pm

SBR wrote:I really feel for Eddie Edwards here. He didn't really have to leave ROH, but he's a good friend to Davey. Now Davey is trying to fish more poor schlubs to TNA.

I see what you did there FISH. Wasn't there rumours awhile back ago when Kenny King came to tna that rett titus was going to go as well.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Dave Meltzer's response to the PWInsider story:

I got a text telling me to hop online real quick and check out a small piece Mike Johnson of PWInsider wrote in response to an extract from yesterday's newsletter about the story on TNA trying to lure ROH stars from the promotion in response to some tension brewing between the two. In it he says he didn't read the piece but I know he has access to this so maybe he'll read this. I never said TNA are trying to "raid" ROH. In their current financial situation I doubt TNA could raid any decent sized independent of its roster, forget a company not all too smaller then it despite a bigger TV deal and international exposure. What I said was that TNA contacted ROH wrestlers and everyone they contacted were under contract so they couldn't speak to them. ROH spent the first half of this year renewing the majority of its rosters contracts. From what I understand there are less than five guys on its roster who aren't signed to deals, two being AJ Styles and Chris Hero, some people tell me Roderick Strong does have a contract despite working for Gabe Sapolsky's promotions which ROH allow him to do as a thank you for many years of hard work. I never mentioned Bobby Fish or Kyle O'Reilly because I had no details on Richards contacting them although it's totally possible as Richards trained O'Reilly and both Davey and Eddie from what people tell me aren't happy with how their TNA run has gone so far. Davey even promoted an ROH event this past weekend on his Twitter account- we're not too far removed from him being fired by the promotion.

This is not a passive aggressive response to Mike but just something I needed to clarify. TNA did not try to raid ROH. They contacted some of their wrestlers, those wrestlers were all under contract. Some is not a raid.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:52 pm

Big Dave laying down the fucking law.
    dragondragon
    dragondragon

Post by dragondragon Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Dave meltzer could kill anyone by just rattling off facts in their direction.
    WhoBetta
    WhoBetta

Post by WhoBetta Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:30 pm

So they're bickering over semantics... Internet. Serious business.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 am