WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+4
Swarles
Indy
SBR
StylesClash
8 posters

Favorite Sports Teams

StylesClash
    StylesClash

Favorite Sports Teams Empty Favorite Sports Teams

Post by StylesClash Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:55 am

I'm obviously new here and found this place on luck looking for a smaller wrestling forum. I am sports fanatic, from wrestling to football to hockey to soccer to basketball to baseb...well I follow baseball lol.

To get to know some of you guys better, what sports do you all enjoy, and who are your favorite teams in those respected sports and why?

NFL: Tampa Bay Buccaneers...I live in North Carolina so I have Panthers fans all around me. Why do I not root for the Panthers? Well quite simply they weren't around or were just starting when I got into football. I choose the Buccaneers because I thought they had the coolest logo. As a 4 year old kid, how can you not live a smiling Buccaneer? I've cheered for them ever since and had the opportunity to go to my first professional game when they visited Charlotte this year. They lost and had a horrible year, but BucNation till I die!

NHL: Carolina Hurricanes, I got into hockey later on in my life and simply choose the home team. I've been to 4 or 5 games in my life, and if you've never seen a hockey game up close and ever get the opportunity, its a complete blast!

NBA: Charlotte Bobcats (soon to be Hornets), Local team, hard to cheer for at times, but been a fan for as long as I can recall.

MLB: Cleveland Indians, my dad was born and raised in Ohio about hour and a half from Cleveland, so it just carried over. I like watching baseball live, but its just so dag gum boring on TV

NCAA: Duke Blue Devils and Ohio State Buckeyes....Ohio State through my father, Duke through my mother.

Soccer: I played soccer for almost 10 years, but hardly follow it to be honest. I do cheer for Barcelona FC and try my best to keep up with them...

So those are my teams, what teams do you guys cheer for and why?
    SBR
    SBR

Favorite Sports Teams Empty Re: Favorite Sports Teams

Post by SBR Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 am

First of all, welcome bro! We are a pretty big/small family here. Can't wait for you to get to know everyone. Also this means 2K isn't the new guy anymore. Damn.

Anyway get ready to hate me.

NFL: New York Giants. Funny story, my dad, who is a New York Jets fan, just couldn't get me to watch football growing up. I was all about basketball in my early years. Around the fourth or fifth grade my best friend was really into the NFL and would invite me to his house to watch Giants games with him. I fell in love with the team. Was probably around 2000 when I really became a hardcore fan. Two Super Bowls later and I thank my friend every time I see him that he made me a Giants fan.

NHL: New York Rangers. I was sort of into hockey growing up and my dad is a Rangers fan so I would watch the games with him. Even into my teens I had a hard time getting into hockey games but in college I totally started to get more into hockey and learning to rules and such. Great game, huge fan, live and die by the Rangers now instead of being casual.

NBA: New York Knicks. I admit, growing up I was a pretty big Chicago Bulls fan. Pippen, Rodman, JORDAN?! I had the best times watching them win all those titles. But after Jordan retired I was ready to become a fan of the team from New York. And wouldn't you know it they made the Finals the first year I was a fan of theirs. I mean the mid-2000's Knicks were brutal though but I stuck by them. Maybe one of these years they will actually win the damn thing.

MLB: New York Yankees. Baseball has pretty much consumed my entire life since 1996. The year my dad brought me to my first game at old Yankee Stadium (I can't believe I can say that). Ever since then I've been hooked. I currently have 20 game season ticket plan and I try to attend games in every stadium before I hit 30. Planning a trip up to Toronto this year hopefully. Pretty much from April to October baseball is all I do. Watch it at home, from the stadium, at the bar, on my phone. Baseball, baseball, baseball.

NCAA: For football since there are no teams here in NY the sort of default team is the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. I was a casual fan for most of my teen years and when i started college, sort of like hockey I became more diehard. You can catch me rooting them on at Metlife Stadium this September against Syracuse.

As for college hoops, I root for the St. John's Red Storm. I am a graduate from there but my fandom precedes me going there. I was a big fan of the 1998 and 1999 teams that included Ron Artest and Erick Barkley. I currently am a season ticket holder and await a deep tournament run that Steve Lavin has promised me.
    Indy
    Indy
    Admin

Post by Indy Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:19 am

Welcome aboard.

SBR's list is pretty much my list with the Nets battling the Knicks as my basketball team.

I'm a displaced in New Yorker living in Texas.
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:54 am

I basically picked my favorite teams to be an asshole to the rest of my family. They are NY Giants and Yankees fans, so I cheer for the Cowboys and Mets (in retrospect why didn't I pick the Red Sox? baseball would have been so much better for me the past decade or so). Living near Tampa I also enjoy the Rays, they are a hard team to cheer against. They always get the best out of their players and I think it's probably the best run/managed organization in baseball.

I don't really follow any other sports though.
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:12 am

NFL: Miami Dolphins - I am from WV but when I was little I took my trading cards out and found the qb with the best stats. It was... guess who... Dan Marino. So I picked the Dolphins and have been a fans since.

NBA: New York Knicks - I lived in Syracuse, NY for a bit and just started watching Knicks games with some friends.

MLB: Cincinnati Reds - The closest thing to a hometown team for me.

NHL: I don't really have one. My wife is Canadian so I should at least identify a favorite team so I can banter with people at bars when we visit her family. Maybe the Sabers... I don't know. I like Buffalo as a town.

Soccer: Real Salt Lake, Wolverhampton - I currently live in SLC and I have a good friend from Wolverhampton. Also Wolverhampton is just a bad team that beats people up, which I kind of like the idea of. I played soccer for years and my least favorite thing about watching is how much diving has become a part of the culture.

College Football and Basketball: Marshall University, Syracuse University, University of Utah - These are just schools I have graduated from (MU, SU) or am currently attending (UofU).
    JustSkiff
    JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:58 pm

NFL- Dallas Cowboys, because I love America

MLB- Washington Nationals

I don't really have a favorite team for other sports. I do watch a lot of sports, and will pull for close friends' teams ie: Flyers and Duke.
    Vipes
    Vipes

Post by Vipes Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:56 pm

NFL: San Francisco 49ers - Started life as a Bills fan, then quickly realized even as a young child how terrible an idea that would be, so I switched to the Niners, and they haven't won anything since!

NHL: Buffalo Sabres - The only local team I really support. I keep telling myself it will be the most satisfying when they finally win the Cup. If I'm not in a nursing home by then at least.

MLB: Atlanta Braves - Growing up in the 90's, Ted's boys were always on TBS, so that's how I latched onto them.

NBA: San Antonio Spurs - Basketball is the major sport I care the least about, but I pull for the Spurs as they seem to be one of the only teams that just goes out and plays without any bullshit or drama.

Soccer: Arsenal - Got into soccer after the last World Cup, and fell for Arsenal's attacking style. I like Barcelona too primarily because it's so damn fun to watch Messi work.

NCAA: Michigan (Football) and Duke (Basketball) - Two teams I just decided as a kid I liked, and I've stuck with them.
    Xero
    Xero

Post by Xero Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:57 pm

NFL -- New England Patriots.  I think Tom Brady is the best QB in the NFL today and that Bill Belichick is the best coach in the league today.  Aside from that, there are only two NFL teams within anything resembling driving distance.  Both the Falcons and Titans play about 4 hours from my location.  I've been to a Titan's game, but I have to say I prefer the Falcons.  If I lived in Atlanta, they would probably be my favorite sports team.

NBA -- I hate the NBA

MLB -- New York Yankees.  Growing up, everyone at my school was a Braves fan.  It always seemed to me like the Yankees were the polar opposite of the Yankees in the late 90s and early 2000s.  I loved to be different and to cheer for the Yankees.  Plus, they have a lot of history.  That said, I don't watch a lot of pro basketball.

NHL -- Nashville Predators because I tried dating a girl once who was a hockey fan and watched several games so we'd have more to talk about.

Soccer -- USA.  We're winning the world cup.  World cup is the only time I watch soccer.

NCAA  -- Mississippi State University.  I graduated from MSU this past may, and I probably care more about college football than any other sport.  I attend at least 2 home games a year as well as all local bowl games except this year because I got a job and we can't take vacation days in December.

Our basketball team used to be good a couple years ago, but it's terrible now.  A new coach came in and cleaned out all the thugs.  In my estimation non-thugs aren't very good at basketball, but they are learning.

On the other hand, our baseball team went to the CWS Championship game last year.  I've only been to one college baseball game in my life, but I have resigned to going to more this year.

Aside from that, it's going to be LSU.  A couple years ago they were the antithesis of Alabama, a team which I'm not a big fan of, and I graduated community college with a couple of huge LSU fans. Plus, Les Miles is one of the most amusing coaches in the game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:49 pm