WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

+8
Slayer
Joe5150
TeeBeeKay
SBR
RFSKannon
danhere
Swarles
Spudz
12 posters

Destination America Canceling TNA

Xero
    Xero

Destination America Canceling TNA - Page 2 Empty Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

Post by Xero Mon May 25, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm at sort of a weird place between, "yeah, TNA went out of business because their product stunk" and "man, this really proves the industry can no longer support two mainstream wrestling promotions."

I feel like, as bad as TNA has been before, they weren't always terrible and even during the darkest days of WCW, that company's ratings weren't much worse than Monday Night Raw in 2015. It is sort of sad that this company that has been meandering for 13 years is finally at death's door. Whether they die or not, it just sucks that they were unable to gain any traction.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Destination America Canceling TNA - Page 2 Empty Re: Destination America Canceling TNA

Post by Spudz Mon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm

from WrestlingNewsWorld.com
    Court Bauer and Mister Saint Laurent had more on TNA Wrestling’s situation with Destination America on Episode 181 of MLW Radio that you can listen to at this link.

In it, MSL talked about there being quarterly meetings between TNA and Destination America. There was one when they first started in January and another was scheduled in late April.

In mid-late April, Destination America had sent out some viewership numbers that Impact had been doing on the network. Dixie Carter was reportedly upset because they weren’t the C3 numbers (the C3 numbers are the live viewership numbers plus three days of DVR viewership and are the metric used to sell advertisements). Apparently Destination America had only been sending out the live viewership numbers.

According to MSL on the podcast, Carter sent out an internal email [to other TNA officials] complaining about the numbers that Destination America were sending out. However, in her email, she’d inadvertently copied the president of Destination America on it.

TNA figured out what had happened and were in a panic.

A week or so after this happened, TNA’s second quarterly meeting with Destination America was scheduled. Dixie Carter, who was at the meeting in January, was not there. As MSL pointed out on the podcast, it wouldn’t be hard to assume she didn’t attend because she was embarrassed but it was likely said she had a scheduling conflict.

A week or so after that, Destination America decided not to include Impact on their Fall 2015 schedule prior to moving the series from Friday to Wednesday. TNA was notified that Impact Wrestling would not be included on the upcoming Fall schedule.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Mon May 25, 2015 2:06 pm

It really too bad that the Carters couldn't have just sold the company to Jeff & Friends.. Dixie is really a negative at this point to have the power she has, She isn't doing anybody any favors, it just getting worse..  

At this point what would be better for the Wrestling Industry ?.. Dixie continueing to be a black eye or Mommy & Daddy tell her its enough and shut the company down.
    Stroke
    Stroke

Post by Stroke Mon May 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Planet Jarrett >>> Dixieland
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Mon May 25, 2015 7:56 pm

How to properly send an EMail: The Death of TNA by Bryan Alvarez and RD Reynolds
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Wed May 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Wed May 27, 2015 3:48 pm

When Ring of Honor sent out a tweet Wednesday afternoon announcing a TV deal with Destination America, the initial reaction in the wrestling industry was ROH was replacing TNA Impact.

As of right now, that's not the case, as Dest. America has scheduled a three-hour block of ROH and Impact programming on Wednesday nights.

However, TNA star MVP's reaction "in the moment" of when ROH made the initial announcement was interesting.

"At no time was TNA talent (that I'm aware of) notified of ROH airing on @DestAmerica . I'll refrain from commenting until after 'the call,'" MVP tweeted. "Yeah so ummm... PROMOTERS! BOOKMVPNOW@GMAIL.COM. 2 maybe 3 more years. Then I'm retiring. Ya gotta love the wrasslin' biz!"

It's unclear at this point how much TNA management knew about Dest. America's plans to acquire ROH programming to form a Wednesday night block.

But, with talent seemingly left in the dark about what's going on, similar to last year when TNA was in-between Spike TV and Dest. America, there are concerns about TNA's television future.

"TNA not addressing the rampant TV rumors of their relationship with Destination America is irresponsible," wrote former WWE announcer Jim Ross in his latest blog at jrsbarbq.com.

"I've talked to many within the company who have no idea what their future holds and that's not good business. Silence speaks volumes more often than not in the wrestling business when it comes to communicating with talent and of that I speak from extensive experience."

Caldwell's Analysis: You always have to consider MVP's tweet being part of a work setting up a TNA vs. ROH type situation to try to boost both brands on Dest. America, especially with MVP referencing a "call" in his initial reaction, but it still reinforces the idea of TNA talent being left in the dark, even if it's based on a work.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Wed May 27, 2015 3:52 pm

MVP @The305MVP  ·  2h 2 hours ago
    At no time was TNA talent (that I'm aware of) notified of ROH airing on @DestAmerica . I'll refrain from commenting until after "the call".

Classy...

Yeah so ummm...
    PROMOTERS!

BOOKMVPNOW@GMAIL.COM

Bobby Roode @REALBobbyRoode · 53m 53 minutes ago
    UNCLE!!!!!!!!
    Swarles
    Swarles
    Admin

Post by Swarles Wed May 27, 2015 3:57 pm

I can't wait for MVPs ebook "Damn, why I leave Japan?".
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Wed May 27, 2015 4:20 pm

"Typical TNA move, day late and dollar short" - Taz on TNA explaining to talent after the news of ROH going to Destination America
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Wed May 27, 2015 5:26 pm

according to Meltz.. Dixie & company couldn't or wouldn't address the Dest America contract right now at the meeting... lol

from Wade Keller

TNA President Dixie Carter assured TNA wrestlers during a conference call this afternoon that TNA is in good standing with Destination America and they are still planning for the 2016 season. However, when asked if there is an out clause for Destination America this fall, Carter said due to legal advice and confidentiality clauses, she could not comment other than to say escape clauses are common in TV deals.

Carter led the conference call with a ten minute introduction and then fielded questions from talent for another 30 minutes, roughly.

She also addressed other topics from wrestlers including late pay and what the ROH deal with Destination America means to TNA. Did the wrestlers like what she said or are they skeptical? Did it help or hurt morale? Full expanded details are available right now in a 23 minute VIP-exclusive Wade Keller Hotline. This update includes tons of details including TNA talent morale, what ROH stands to benefit, what this really means to TNA's future, and much more.

By Mike Johnson on 2015-05-27 17:24:04
    Several readers have sent word that TNA talents have started sending out Tweets mentioning Ring of Honor coming to Destination America plugging they are the lead-in for TNA Impact Wrestling. From what I have been told, this is something TNA is doing on their own and not something that Destination America has requested of the company. There is no working relationship between TNA and ROH and this is not something the two companies came up with together. My belief is that it was a request that TNA management made of the wrestlers during today's conference call. It looks to be TNA's way of babyfacing an obviously embarrassing situation.

Speaking of that call, I am still getting details but I was told it ran well over 90 minutes and as you could imagine, there were some less than happy TNA contracted talents on the line.

As far as how TNA could not have had an exclusivity clause for the network for pro wrestling programming, UTA negotiated the contract, not TNA, so any blame should fall upon them. I am very curious to see if Destination America is looking to add additional wrestling programming as obviously House of Hardcore, Global Force Wrestling, hell, even New Japan Pro Wrestling, etc. are out there.

We have been asked what all this means for Samoa Joe working ROH dates. To the best of my knowledge, Joe's deal with WWE NXT allows him to work the dates. It should be interesting to see if they opt to sign him to a WWE exclusive deal in order to prevent it.

In many ways, we are in uncharted waters here, folks.

By Mike Johnson on 2015-05-27 18:51:17
    According to several sources who took part in today's TNA conference call with President Dixie Carter discussing the company today with TNA staff and wrestlers, there were no real explanations given regarding the current situation with Destination America.

I was told that it was intimated that due to the nature of the contract between the two parties, neither TNA nor Destination America can publicly comment on their relationship.

Regarding Ring of Honor being added to the Network, the impression given was that TNA, due to their relationship with DA, could not speak on the show until it was announced. I've heard from a few people who didn't buy that explanation and the general belief among those I've spoken to who were on the call s that TNA didn't know about ROH until it was announced.

At times, once the call was opened up for wrestlers to voice their opinions, the call did get very contentious. I was told that at one point, Carter told the wrestlers it was up to them to show the world why they were the best in the world and that they "controlled their own destiny." This led to some of the issues of the past year, including the move from Spike and the pay issues being brought up. I was told Carter responded as if the pay issues were in the past.

I heard differing opinions from talents. One said that he felt better now that had the situation had been addressed as talents were no longer "in the dark" and they hoped everyone would get back to performing and not worrying. The talent referred to the call as a big "family blowout" in that now that everyone said their piece, there was a feeling of communication and now everyone could get back to work.

Another called it a "circus call" in that once the floodgates opened for the talent, some of the talents began bringing up personal issues that would have been better dealt with in a one on one forum.

Still another told me it was over 90 minutes of nothing of substance truly being addressed while noting the company was adamant they wanted things kept private while asking talents not to speak out and leak things.

As we hear more, we'll have additional updates.
    Vipes
    Vipes

Post by Vipes Wed May 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Just when I thought TNA couldn't be any more of a comical trainwreck of a company. How wonderful.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Thu May 28, 2015 9:35 am

Things continue to get worse in TNA. It's very unfortunate for the future of their wrestlers and employees to be even more uncertain.

While I hope they recover for the sake of those involved, at least there's some upside for fans. Wednesdays are going to ridiculously great for wrestling fans through this Summer.

And while TNA getting canceled by Destination America would be terrible, at least them picking up ROH is a good sign for wrestling. If TNA were to be taken off DA in the fall and the ROH deal not happened, then the perception by most networks would be that wrestling can't do well besides WWE.

Networks typically don't care to look into specifics when it comes to wrestling, so the blame would go to the industry as a whole rather than particular people involved. This at least isn't as bad for the wrestling business if things don't work out for TNA.
    2kNikk
    2kNikk

Post by 2kNikk Fri May 29, 2015 5:37 pm

I would feel bad except that most wrestlers who leave TNA do the same or better than when they where in TNA.

And they don't pay on time.

So fuck TNA.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Fri May 29, 2015 5:38 pm

Whoa they pay their big stars like Matt Hardy on time.
    2kNikk
    2kNikk

Post by 2kNikk Fri May 29, 2015 5:47 pm

SBR wrote:Whoa they pay their big stars like Matt Hardy on time.

Their big stars like Matt Hardy says everything you need to know about the company.
    RFSKannon
    RFSKannon

Post by RFSKannon Fri May 29, 2015 5:48 pm

SBR wrote:Whoa they pay their big stars like Matt Hardy on time.

Except when Matt did his "See I've been paid on time" with his five checks, they all had the same issue date. Was he paid? Yes.. On time? Not exactly.
    Vipes
    Vipes

Post by Vipes Fri May 29, 2015 11:43 pm

2kNikk wrote:I would feel bad except that most wrestlers who leave TNA do the same or better than when they where in TNA.

And they don't pay on time.

So fuck TNA.

This largely sums up my feelings quite well, particularly the "fuck TNA" part, so well done sir.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:26 pm

‏@karenjarrett 6h6 hours ago
    Sounds like someone is throwing a temper tantrum in Nashville. Oh you can't control the world darlin!

Shade starting to be thrown. I'm loving it.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:14 pm

SBR wrote:‏@karenjarrett 6h6 hours ago
    Sounds like someone is throwing a temper tantrum in Nashville. Oh you can't control the world darlin!

Shade starting to be thrown. I'm loving it.

TNA star Tyrus (Brodus Clay) announced on Twitter that he will not be performing for Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling after all. He cited contractual obligations, likely referring to his deal with TNA.
    Spudz
    Spudz

Post by Spudz Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:22 pm

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-100-wednesday-cable-originals-6-3-2015.html

There was some interest in the new line-up on DAM, although RING OF HONOR, which was described to us as a new show, is listed as a rerun, so perhaps someone can clarify for us.  In any case, at 8PM it had a 0.04 18-49 rating, with 163K total viewers, and another run (or episode) listed without a start time was at 0.03/110K.  IMPACT WRESTLING ran a new episode at 9PM at 0.09/297K (down 0.03 and 116K total viewers from last Friday’s episode), which also aired at midnight with a 0.02/72K result (down 0.03/85K from the last Friday re-airing).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am