WrestleConnect.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WrestleConnect.com

3 posters

UFC on FOX: Lawler vs. Brown

Slayer
    Slayer

UFC on FOX: Lawler vs. Brown Empty UFC on FOX: Lawler vs. Brown

Post by Slayer Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:26 pm

UFC on FOX: Lawler vs. Brown UFC_on_FOX_12_event_poster

UFC on FOX: Lawler vs. Brown
    Saturday, July 26, 2014
    From the SAP Center in San Jose, California
    Live on FOX at 8 PM ET / 5 PM PT

Main Event: (5 Rounds)

Welterweight Bout: Robbie Lawler (#1) vs. Matt Brown (#5)

Main Card Bouts:

Light Heavyweight Bout: Anthony Johnson (#5) vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Featherweight Bout: Clay Guida (#7) vs. Dennis Bermudez (#12)

Lightweight Bout: Josh Thomson (#3) vs. Bobby Green (#13)

Preliminary Bouts: (Live on FOX at 6 PM ET / 3 PM PT)

Lightweight Bout: Daron Cruickshank vs. Jorge Masvidal (#14)

Light Heavyweight Bout: Kyle Kingsbury vs. Patrick Cummins

Welterweight Bout: Hernani Perpetuo vs. Tim Means

Featherweight Bout: Mike De La Torre vs. Brian Ortega

Preliminary Bouts: (Live on UFC Fight Pass at 4:15 PM ET / 1:15 PM PT)

Lightweight Bout: Akbarh Arreola vs. Tiago Trator

Welterweight Bout: Andreas Stahl vs. Gilbert Burns

Women's Strawweight Bout: Juliana Lima vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk

Featherweight Bout: Steven Siler vs. Noad Lahat
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

UFC on FOX: Lawler vs. Brown Empty Re: UFC on FOX: Lawler vs. Brown

Post by CapitalTTruth Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 am

One of the best cards the UFC has put together in some time. I am actually excited for this one. The main event will be violent. It will either be quick and violent or it will be an absolute classic, but violence there will be.
    SBR
    SBR

Post by SBR Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:23 pm

I was looking forward to this show and then realized I have an engagement party. =( Don't get married people, your friends will hate you for it.
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:23 pm

I got married the night of the Velasquez vs Dos Santos III. There was a 10 minute period where I tried to figure out if I could steer my wedding party toward a bar that would be showing it after the reception. I decided against it, for obvious reasons.
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 am

I was shocked the main event went the distance. It was overall a fairly entertaining night of fights.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:32 am

Lawler vs. Brown was just a fun display of violence. It didn't even feel like I watched a 5-round fight. Credit to Brown for being as tough as he is, because most fighters would have been put away much sooner by Lawler.

Although I would have liked to see Johny Hendricks defend the title against another opponent first (like the newly aggressive Rory MacDonald), Hendricks vs. Lawler 2 should be an incredible matchup.

Anthony Johnson's beating Little Nog was a foregone conclusion. However, the brutal KO finish was just an example of how sadistic Joe Silva must have been when making this matchup.
    CapitalTTruth
    CapitalTTruth

Post by CapitalTTruth Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:49 am

I don't believe in the "newly aggressive" McDonald just yet. There are safe fighters and there are aggressive fighters. I think it is really hard to shift, particularly from safe to aggressive. I think his aggression is strategic and more for show than anything. It has been a while since we have seen him finish anyone. Lawler deserves a rematch. That guy has gone out and won two big matches since his title shot and there were good arguments that he won the Hendricks match. I am very much looking forward to a rematch. LIke you said, it should be fun.

I was actually still in wait and see mode with Johnson. THis guy burned mma fans more than once and Nog is no hack, especially with technical boxing. I waited and I saw that Johnson is a god damned killer. If Gus didn't deserve an immediate rematch I would say pull the trigger on that fight. Right now, Johnson vs Glover seems like the right thing to do.
    Slayer
    Slayer

Post by Slayer Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:46 pm

MacDonald did seem a lot more aggressive than usual against Demian Maia and Tyron Woodley. The fight with Maia especially. Yes, he didn't finish them, but those aren't the type of guys who get easily finished either.

Lawler has certainly earned a rematch with two big wins over top 10 contenders since losing a close decision in the Hendricks fight. I just personally would have preferred Hendricks be able to get a different matchup in as his first title defense before fighting Robbie again. Either way, it's great matchmaking, especially since Lawler has been very active since the Hendricks bout.

Rumble will be in title contention soon. He made Phil Davis look awful in his UFC return, and then demolished Little Nog. A matchup with Glover seems like a good idea for a potential title shot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 pm